UX ReVAMP of "rip.ie"
Coping with grief and loss of a loved one can be very hard. “RIP.ie” offers post-death services online and has a huge scope of improvement. As a part of this project, we proposed a redesign to their website that would streamline the experience for a person needing funerary rites, increase the discoverability of necessary resources mentioned on the website, and improve their monetization model.
Redesign of “RIP.ie” was a week-long project and was done in a team of 3. The work was equally split amongst all three at each stage and everyone got a flavor of everything. On a voluntary basis, I worked as a project manager, and my additional responsibilities included:
Staying on track with the deliverables
Planning ahead and making a daily to-do list.
Reaching out to RIP.ie to validate our hypothesis
Assembling and delivering the final submission.
Removing chaos from the afterlife
We were asked to pick a website of our choice, evaluate its design through usability testings with a relevant customer segment, and submit our recommendations for its redesign at a lo-fi level. For the project, we chose RIP.ie which is in the top 4 websites in Ireland in terms of daily active users.
We started out by creating a profiling canvas for our website and it's users. This was based on our own experience and exposure to the platform.
In order to validate our hypothesis, we created a google form and sent it out to the relevant user base. We received 43 responses and some of the statistics of our responses are shown below:
We analyzed the responses and selected the top 5 jobs that the users wanted to do on the website. Our final list of tasks were:
Search for a death notice.
Post a death notice.
Publish a death anniversary.
Search for a month's mind.
Setting up an alert.
Evaluating the platform
What's the script
For each task, we created a use case doc that explained the ideal scenario that an ideal user will go through when the tries that specific task on the website. This doc was made to act as a reference while evaluating a real user's performance when he is given a usability test. An example is shown below:
Excuse me Sir
For each task, we created a usability task document for the document which clearly explained the jobs they had to do in order to complete the task. To do this, we did Gorilla testing and one to one interviews. In the limited time frame, we were able to do a total of 5 interviews and recorded how people approached a specific task, their success rate, and their comfort level towards the task.
After the interviews, we got back to the studio and started unpacking our interviews to make sense of what we had recorded. To kick off we made experience maps for each task plotting their response at each step of the task flow. Once we had combined the experience for every user we could see emerging patterns.
The next step was to translate the peaks and valleys into insights that were pointing towards usability issues. Overall the graphs showed us a neutral start, chaotic middle, and a happy ending. The top 3 insights were:
The homepage has a lot of friction since the initial clicks are causing most of the stress points.
There is a technology gap with the most important segment of the user base and it relies on others.
Posting a death notice cannot be done via the website but is assumed as a primary feature.
Based on the results from usability testing and our own observations we made problem statements that we were going to address with our redesign:
Redo the navigation system of the website to make top jobs easily accessible.
Make a UI inventory list to analyze and remove ambiguous and inconsistent UI elements.
Do a heuristic evaluation of the top job flows and the homepage to find the usability issues.
Make the online store more visible and improve the monetization model for the platform.
Analyze flows of top jobs and streamline then to reduce the number of clicks.
Clearly mention what the website cannot do, for instance "Post a death notice"